Friday 30 March 2012

My First Knitting Book

I was pondering my growing collection of knitting books today and I found an old friend: my first ever knitting book. Armed with little knowledge but an urge to make something truly spectacular I'd hunted down a yarn shop and spent an hour choosing THE BOOK. This book was going to change my life. I would knit garments and wonderful things that would make people turn in the street and exclaim that they were the best hand knitted pieces that they had ever seen. I had plans. 

However, 3 or more years on I have yet to touch this book. There's no reason why not, I just lost my bottle, then lost the desire to knit the patterns I'd so wanted to indulge in. The book is called 'Knit So Fine: Designs for Skinny Yarns' and is co produced by Lisa R Myers, Laura Grutzeck and Carol Sulcoski. I wanted to share my thoughts on this book as I'm debating setting it free into the knitterverse for someone else who might love it and use it more than I ever did. 

The ladies define skinny yarn as anything lighter than a worsted weight and there's a compelling section at the front demonstrating what a better and more flattering fit you get with these yarns. I still agree, but these days my RSI isn't relishing the idea of a long sleeved pullover in laceweight despite how elegant and feminine I would hope to look. 

Image (C) Carol Sulcoski
The highlights of the book for me were found in the 'Shine Segment' where trickier techniques and interesting construction sat. I loved this Bohus Inspired Pullover by Carol Sulcoski and think the clever way the colours are changed to create a gradient at the yoke is brilliant. Like many of the designs there's also cute details at the cuff to add interest in both the knitting and the final piece. A big thumbs up for me. 

Image (c) CanelaSweet
Then there's these beauties: Travelling Stitch Legwarmers by Lisa R Meyer that make my brain explode. They're so delicate and intricate and so utterly ambitious. If I wasn't in so much pain, I would take that challenge I'm telling you. 

The book includes both written and charted instructions although the charts are small but I always photocopy mine anyway. The photography is stylish and helpful and I found the notes before each pattern really informative. It's a shame it just never came to fruition.

2 comments:

Faith (the Vampire Slayer) said...

Thank you, I just went to Amazon and added this to my wish list. I love light weight items -- especially lace weight sweaters, because the yarn for projects is often much more affordable for me and much more climate appropriate to the American South.

Truly Myrtle said...

This looks lovely - I'm a fan of fine knits, although they do take an age to do...
Thanks for the tip about photocopying charts - I hadn't thought to do that!